We are Karen & Simon Othen
Hello, and welcome to the website for our beautiful gite situated a small village in this unspoilt part of France. We live in the small village of Croué with our two dogs, Max a Labrador and Duke a German Short-haired Pointer (GSP) . It is a wonderful and relaxing place to live. nestled amongst farms and fields of sunflowers, but close to towns and cities and the beautiful Atlantic coast with its fabulous islands… What’s not to like? After busy lives in the SE of the UK (Karen worked as a deputy head and Simon ran a property maintenance buisness) we are now enjoying all that life in France has to offer us!
We have operated our gite for 10 year which is a large house at La Bataille We have holidayed here ourselves with family and friends for nearly 15 years. We know the area very well and look forward to welcoming our future guests to make the most of all that this lovely unspoilt part of France has to offer.
Here are just a few atttractions within about an hours drive or less.
- La Rochelle – a lively seaside town
- Cognac – beautiful architecture and Cognac, of course
- Il de Re – a beautiful island with a Mediterranean feel to it
- Royan – a modern chic town with its long sandy beaches
- Futuroscope – one of France’s premier Theme Parks
- Rochfort – glorious seaport, a suspended bridge, rope museums and so much more
- Saintes – Roman amphitheatre and stunning buildings, festivals and the Charente river
- Marais Poitevin – also known as ‘The Green Venice’
- Celles sur Belle – just 3 km to this stunning royal abbey and pretty town
- Niort – the ‘county’ town of Deux Sevres, located on the river with so much to offer!
We are sure you will enjoy your stay in this, the second hottest part of France, after the Riviera.
|La Belle Ferme at la Bataille|
Chef-Boutonne Aquitaine-Limousin-Poitou-Charentes, France
Directions from the ports to where we live then on to the Gite
Directions from our house to the Gite